Acceptable Use Policy
Williamstown Public School
Computer and Internet Acceptable Use Policy
As with all media, including books, pictures, and television programs, computers and the Internet have good and bad sides. There are ways to use computers well, and ways to use them poorly. The Internet can enrich our lives by giving us access to vast stores of knowledge; it can also waste our time. Some people even use the Internet with malicious intent to frighten and disturb others. The guidelines in this policy have been established to help students use computers and the Internet in appropriate, useful, and efficient ways.
Williamstown Elementary School has made every effort, through filtering devices, to eliminate inappropriate material, language, and pictures. No filtering device is 100 % effective. Be aware that it is possible that inappropriate material may slip past the filtering device, in which case the student must report it immediately to the classroom instructor who will report the incident to the technology department so the site can be added to the filtering device.
To qualify to use school computers, the students and parent/legal guardian must agree to abide by the rules set forth in the district acceptable use policy. Below is a summary of that policy.
I, __(student's name)__, the student, agree to the following rules for using computers and the Internet at school:
- Use of school computers and AlphaSmarts, including Internet access, is a privilege, not a right. If I abuse that privilege I will lose it.
- I will use the Internet at school for the purpose of education, and for researching approved school assignments only.
- I will not download or save to disk any programs, images, movies, sounds, or other content without my teacher’s permission.
- I will only use the Internet at school if there are teachers present supervising me. I understand that unsupervised use is not permitted. I will not hide my online activities from my teachers.
- I understand that I am not responsible for what other people say and do on the Internet, therefore if someone else online says or does something offensive or disturbing, or if I see images on a web site that make me feel upset or disturbed in any way, I will tell my teachers. I will not respond to any messages that make me feel upset, angry or scared.
- I will treat the school’s equipment with respect at all times. I will not eat or drink near the computers or AlphaSmarts® either in the classroom or lab.
- I will not change my log-in password or try to password protect my AlphaSmart®.
- I will not attempt to by-pass security or change a computer’s settings.
- I will not log-in as anyone but myself. If I need to get into to someone else’s file, I will ask the teacher to log-in for me. I will not delete, copy or modify another person’s files.
- I will not print without the teacher’s permission. I will print only one copy of a document. If a document does not print I will ask my teacher or the computer teachers for assistance.
- I will observe copyright laws. I will not plagiarize information. I will not bring software from home to copy onto school computers, nor will I copy school software for home use.
- If I have a technical problem with the AlphaSmart, computer, printer or the Internet, I will share it with my teachers and ask for their help.
My parent/ legal guardian and I have reviewed and discussed the Williamstown Public Schools’ Student Computer and Internet Student Acceptable Use Policy. I understand the importance of being polite, respectful, honest and obeying all of the rules in the districts Acceptable Use Policy. I understand that I should not give out personal information about myself or my family on the Internet. I also understand that the Internet is for electronic information resources that are to be used for educational purposes. If I break the rules of the acceptable use policy, I understand that my computer usage can be suspended, or that other disciplinary or legal action can be taken. I promise to follow the rules.
Student Name (please print):_______________________________________________
Student’s Signature:__________________________________ Date:_______________
Parent/Guardian's Name (please print):______________________________________
Work Phone:___________________ Home Phone:_____________________________
Parent/Guardian’s Signature:____________________________ Date:_____________